Monday, December 13, 2010

Marathons and cobblers

This whole weekend had me up in knots all kinds in my tummy. It was a marathon-kind of weekend....no really. And those are the best, because they call for lots of celebrations and yummy desserts!

If any of you have run a marathon relay before...dont! Well you could, but if you have a anxious tummy like this here me, then I highly do not recommend it...to anyone! This is how it goes:

The first runner must wake up extremely early and be at a shuttle at an ungodly time of day (5:30am) to get to the destination-start line-to simply have to wait until the gun goes off (7:30am) The start of a lot of waiting. Now, if you were part of my team (the best team, of course) Then you were made super anxious, because your first runner up suddenly became ill the am of the race! (Imagine that) We believe her though because we witnessed the upchuck. :) yumm

So the rest of the participants (and their awesome friends/family) vehicle to the first hand off point. Hand off what? Did I not mention there are batons?! Oh yes, but there is! Spirit stick, some might have called it. Maybe not.

So the first runner (our fill in, who did so awesomely amazing!) hands off to the next runner who takes off among the full marathoners running the same course, and irate at us relay-ers who have fresh legs every so often and zoom past them huffing and puffing to keep going.

So now, here I am. I know I am next but I must wait. 1 hour and some odd minutes. And wait. We vehicle off to my pick up location and this one is sneaky because I get to watch my teammate pass me on an up hill, but wait some more, until he comes around and over the hill I am standing at the bottom of. More waiting! Can you just imagine my stomach at this point? Im getting crampy just writing this.

Once I am handed the baton, however, it is all ok. Although it becomes quite sweaty and slippery quickly. Who ever came up with the stupid idea to hold onto this stick and run!? Whatever. I finish quite happily and pass it off to our final runner, who did awesomely as well, and ran to the finish of her first ever race!

So here comes the best part! The food after! Especially after all that waiting around, we were famished! We stopped at one of mine and my husbands favorite restaurants that feeds people like him. (them glutens) Delish! Then went home and made one of the best desserts, I think ever!

Apple Blueberry cobbler

Sugar free, gluten free, dairy/egg free...I might add. 

So yes, the waiting was all worth it. The anxiousness calmed down thanks to the cobbler. Yummy!

XoX

No comments:

Post a Comment