Saturday, December 11, 2010

Shampoo too much?

Should I wash my hair everyday? No.

I could leave it at that, but I won't.

Your hair/scalp produces natural oils that are good for your mane. When you shampoo your hair, you are washing those good oils away and down the drain. Then I get the question, "Why is my hair so dry?" When you wash your hair only every other day, or every 2 days, you are allowing those good oils to stay on your scalp and travel down the hair shaft and provide good moisture to your strands.

Some may argue their hair is too greasy to allow a couple days to shampoo. I say give it time! When you are shampooing everyday your poor oil glands are made to produce overtime to keep up with you. So be patient. Oil production will level out in time, but in between there are some tricks to learn.

Baby powder is a good trick. It will help soak up any excess your hair does not absorb, without washing it all away. Just apply some in your part line, with a blush makeup brush, or just sprinkle it on. Use a fine tooth comb or your fingers to comb it through or smudge it in. Its real simple. Start with less, use more if needed.

Also becoming more popular on the market is dry shampoo. It does the same thing baby powder does, absorb excess moisture.

I have found it helpful to wear my hair up the second or third day of not washing it. My style usually holds better with 'dirty' hair anyway. Also if you just have to wet your hair down to re style it, that is ok too. As long as you are not applying shampoo to your hair, that is what will wash the oils away.

Hope this is helpful, grease-heads :)

XoX

2 comments:

  1. Rose. I must tell you I am a reformed "washer of hair every day" kind of girl.
    My hair is greasy and I always thought I HAD to wash it but now I wash it every other day.
    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete