Sunday, January 9, 2011

Break it down, breakage!

I have a good friend of mine who has thin hair. Well, a lot of people have thin hair. There's nothing wrong with that at all. But she has thin hair, and its blonde. So you do the math=could end up in breakage...and hers does. It doesn't help that she lives about 121.48 miles away from me (approximately) and so doesn't get as good of hair attention as she may need. But were working on that. Baby steps.

So when she comes to me and complains (yes she is a complainer, a BIG one) about her breakage situation I have to go through an evaluation of questions. We have to figure out what is causing this said breakage.

Does she wear her hair up? Yes. Check. But she has to for school.

 So next question: are her ponytails too tight, and what kind of hair tie is she using. Always use one without a metal clamp on it. Those always seem to pull on the hair in the wrong sort of way. If you have fine hair, then think of using a thinner hair tie, and no need to wear it headache tight. I know its old school, but the scrunchie is the safest!

My mom used to make me these to match all
of my outfits. I was cool then. 

OK next question: Are you wearing a hat or sunglasses on your head? No. Some people pull their sunglasses on their heads, and those little nose protectors get stuck in their fine hairs and they yank with no thought. Ouch. 

Also, it doesn't hurt to sleep on a silk pillowcase. As high maintenance as it may sound, it does do wonders, especially if you are like me and toss and turn a lot in your sleep. 

Leave in conditioner is also a nice trick for breakage. After you dry off from the shower and your hair is a bit damp, add it to your strands. It still is working for you after you dry your hair. It holds moisture in and repairs throughout the day. This is one I use and recommend. 
Paul Mitchell The Conditioner

Watch how you are blow drying your hair.  If you are using a brush, make sure that brush isn't old and the bristles are all intact. Maybe, your hair is too fragile to use a brush while blow drying. 

Using these tips helped my friend with her breakage situation, and may help you! 

XoX


No comments:

Post a Comment