Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pot holes, cereal and wheat allergies

In my ongoing quest to make my "not so healthy" junk food, circle K hot dog eating husband on the right track to eating healthy, we hit a minor, what some would call, a speed bump. I look at it as a blessing and a curse knocking on my door simultaneously.  He was recently diagnosed (yesterday, really) as having a gluten allergy (among other things) Yes he is now "one of those."
Now I say a blessing because really, he is forced into eating "healthy" foods. A downhill if you will.  No more gas station hot dogs! (Honestly I didn't know people actually ate those things. They just look so shrively and gross turning constantly under those crusty heat lamps) No more late night Taco Bell stops, 5 Pepsi's a day, and Whataburger for breakfast.
But here is the curse part of this situation: I am going to be the one to make the lunches, buy the 'healthy' food, prepare that food and make sure he sticks to what he is supposed to be doing. Doesn't seem too bad, but have you ever been to a 'normal' grocery store and looked at the 'gluten free' section..if they even have one? Not much of a selection. Now, go into a Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or a Sunflower. Yay! Talk about a better selection. But...throw this pot hole in there...No cane sugar,  and no eggs (yolk or whites) Now there's a more complicated problem, construction zone you might say.
Needless to say internet research is what my nights have consisted of. My grocery store runs have now turned into hours of search and find and label reading. Did you know there are about 20 words used on labels that indicate gluten is present!?! Not to mention the many foods you would never, (in a million years) think gluten is present in. (ie:baking powder, dry roasted nuts, ground spices, and some vitamins! Source)
So here is where my lovely blog readers come into play. If any of you out there have any ideas or recipes that I could use that would be lovely! If any of you know me well I love to cook, and especially try new recipes. Mondays are my designated 'new recipe' night. I will try anything at least once. I don't want to  be discouraged with these new 'diet restrictions' (healthy food eating plan) that is put in front of us. I will continue to search the endless blogs and recipe pages and share those ones that I find helpful, if there are any others like us that are out there. And for all of you without any kind of food allergy, don't ever (ever ever) take that for granted. You have NO idea!
XoX

5 comments:

  1. I didn't think people really ate those hot dogs, too. lol
    I have a couple of gluten free blogs that I wrote down for a sister in my hall whose son has a gluten allergy as well.
    One is http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
    and the other was http://www.elanaspantry.com/
    Hope these help a little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right?!? Thanks so much! Ill check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food Should Taste Good sells Sweet Potato chips that are gluten free and they taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a blog I came across with some gluten free ideas. http://tiffanyandalbert.blogspot.com/p/living-gluten-free-life.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's another http://www.glutenfreehomemaker.com/

    ReplyDelete